People keen on an arrest warrant search in Chaves County, NM, will often find themselves being directed to the magistrate’s office, which is understandable. After all, the judge issues all active warrants and other directives for arrests, such as bench warrants. Yet, most applicants assume that the magistrate’s court will offer no clue on arrest records.
So, it should be explained here that once an active warrant is served, the police diligently send the original order to the magistrate’s office. This is done to keep the judiciary apprised of the detentions that have been effected under warrants. Even when a perpetrator is taken into custody without a judicial arrest order, the magistrate’s court learns about it when the bail hearing is held.
The county clerk’s office, which records the court dockets, also has information about the release and execution of Chaves County outstanding warrants and detentions affected under these directives’ provisions. The clerk of the court’s department maintains a perpetual presence in the courtrooms of the state. This means that they get not only information on criminal matters but also civil cases.
This data is made available for public consumption through the service terminals housed in the justice center. Applicants can choose to pay for assisted inquiries or look for arrest records and warrants in their subject’s name on their own by using these computers linked to the court dockets database. To visit the agencies discussed above, you will need to drive down/write to:
- The police: PO Box 1396, #1 St Mary’s Place, East Wing, Roswell, New Mexico 88202-1396
- The county clerk: PO Box 580, Roswell, New Mexico 88202
- The court of the magistrate: 400 N Virginia Ave, Roswell, NM 88201
How can you get a copy of an arrest report or information on outstanding warrants from Chaves County over the phone? (Updated-2021)
- To know about recent arrests: Call the Chaves County Detention Center at 575-624-6517.
- To find out about outstanding warrants: Call the Magistrate’s Court at 575-624-6088.
- To access arrest records: Get in touch with Sheriff’s Department at 575-624-6500.
- To inquire about victim’s services: Call the Chaves County Attorney’s Office at 575-624-6602.
- To get general information or to file a non-emergency complaint: Call the Sheriff’s dispatch phone number- 575-624-7590.
- To know more about accessing criminal court records: Contact the Clerk’s Office at 575-622-2212.
Crime statistics of Chaves County
In 2019, the Chaves County Police filed 277 criminal cases, as opposed to the 254 crimes handled in the previous year. These included 223 crimes against property and 54 crimes against persons.
Of the property crimes, 98 were larceny thefts, 90 were burglaries, and 35 were motor vehicle thefts. Of the violent crimes 39 were aggravated assaults, 9 were rapes and 3 were robberies.
The sheriff’s office of Chaves County handles almost 3200 criminal matters every year. About 13% of these incidents are violent. Overall, 12 crimes are reported in the area each day, and there was a marginal increase of less than 10% in the rates of reported crime in recent years.